Eleven fantastic local projects will be undertaken this year with funding support from Tomorrow Today Foundation’s 2017 Grants Program. Over $22,000 was awarded for a diverse range of initiatives at a well-attended ceremony on Friday 12 May. Representatives of the successful groups spoke about their projects and the difference they hope to make in the community.
Grant recipients were:
- Cooinda Village and FCJ College for a music and storytelling project that breaks down intergenerational barriers;
- Benalla Scout Group to set up a Joey Mob for 5 to 7 year olds;
- Bernard Briggs Preschool for maths resources to help children explore maths with their parents;
- Australian Christian College Hume for a sensory garden and outdoor play space;
- Greta Valley playgroup for equipment and resources to aid development of children’s cognitive, social and physical skills;
- Benalla YMCA Aquatic Centre for a water safety and survival program for Year 6 students;
- Benalla Flexible Learning Centre for a healthy eating and exercise program for students;
- Benalla Health in partnership with St Vincent de Paul for seedlings and seeds so that Benalla families can grow their own fruit and vegetables;
- Benalla P-12 College for the Beacon Polish Program to promote job skills and introduce Year 9 students to local employers;
- Benalla P-12 Avon Campus to fund a pizza oven to be used for monthly community get-togethers;
- Broken River Writers to bring expert guest speakers to Benalla to coach and encourage aspiring writers of all ages.
Addressing the gathering, Tomorrow Today Chair Sally Gamble congratulated the successful applicants and highlighted that the grants are possible thanks to investment of funds received from generous local donors. Tomorrow Today’s Community Fund is a permanent and growing pool of funds which acts as a ‘future fund’ for Benalla. Income from the Fund is distributed as local grants – year after year.
Since 2003 Tomorrow Today has presented 104 grants to 55 different organisations totalling over $220,000, a substantial philanthropic contribution to support the Benalla & District community.
Anyone who would like to give to the Tomorrow Today Foundation Community Fund can donate online at www.tomorrowtoday.com or visit the Foundation’s office at Shop 10, Cecily Court, Nunn Street.